Friday, September 26, 2008

A day I will never forget!

I think that over the past year or so, the Lord has really been trying to teach me that what happens in my life is not on my own time, but his time. It has been incredibly insane in my life right now, that I just long for the time when life can get back to normal. Since we have bought our house, we have practically been there every night trying to get it ready for us to move into. I can't remember the last time that Jon and I actually had a full night at home, spending time together. On top of the house, teaching first graders makes me exhausted, Jon and I are also in the process of looking for a new church, and now the most recent and new change in my life.

For over a year my Grandmother has been in a nursing home. She has gone down hill mentally since she entered the nursing home. It has been hard to walk into her room and wonder if she will remember who I am or not. Last Christmas, we said good-bye to my Grandpa, and even still to this day, she doesn't know he is gone. Now, as the one year anniversary of my Grandpa's death approaches, we are about to mourn the loss of his beloved wife. We as a family decided to let God do his work in Grandma's life, and not let technology take over. We have put her on hospice, and just wait for the day when she will be with Grandpa in heaven. We know where she is going, and we know that she will finally be reunited with the man she loves, but it still doesn't make the pain of losing another Grandparent any easier. Which leads me to why I really wrote this post. Yesterday was a day that I will never forget, and a time I will always cherish as we spend the last few weeks with Grandma.

Thursday night I got an e-mail from my sister saying that there was going to be a girls night out and the only information she gave was the address of the place where we were to meet. We didn't know who was coming, or what exactly we were doing. So on friday, at 4:30, my mom, aunt, sisters and niece arrived at this cute little tea shop restaurant in the city. However, the biggest surprise of the night was not the place, but that Amy had arranged everything where Grandma could be brought to this place as well. So the 7 girls, minus Molly, were together, knowing that this would be the last time anything like this happens again with Grandma being there.

This tea shop restaurant was amazing because it was a restaurant where you could dress up as well. So we all put on our fancy hats, and our boas, and had our fun. This truly was a gift from God because we also had the entire restaurant to ourselves. When Amy called the place to see if we could eat there, the lady said it closed at 4. After Amy told her why we were all getting together, the lady offered to close it to everyone else, except us. So we didn't have to worry about anyone else the entire time. This truly was an amazing time to share with my family. I know that Grandma doesn't have much time left on this earth, but to know that I can look back on this day, and cherish the memory we had, I know that this was a time ordained by God. So now I will leave you with a picture of our wonderful night together!

3 comments:

Matt and Megan said...

Wow...what a precious memory to have and cherish. May God be with you and your family during this time. Let me know when we can get together again...I'd love to spend some time with you.

Love you girl!

Beth Trieber said...

Thanks for my many messages, thought it was time I returned one for once!

That picture is priceless! It will definitely be something precious to look back on and remember the conversations and memories that were shared on that day!

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”

Andrea said...

That is so great that you were all able to get together with Grandma for one last HooRah and good time with the girls! Treasure it always. Prayers are with you and your family as you go through this troubling time of losing a precious and loved family member!