Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saying Goodbye

A week ago today I got the call. It was around 6 in the morning and after I realized that it was a saturday and it wasn't a phone call canceling school, I knew what would be on the other end. My Grandmother, 84 years old, was no longer suffering here on earth.

It is hard to think about the fact that I no longer have anymore Grandparents. That my children will never get to know their Great Grandparents. It has started me thinking about having kids, so that my parents can have many years with our children.

Many people don't get the chance to live with their Grandparents. I had that chance, and even though at times it was very difficult, I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I know that I never would have been as close with my Grandparents if they didn't move in with us. I think that sometimes people don't understand the bond that I formed with my Grandparents and they wonder why I have taken their death so hard. It was only Christmas time last year that I said goodbye to my Grandpa, and now a year or so later, my Grandmother too. This time, I know that they are both together again, and that has actually made this time less painful. Those two were together for 62 years, and to know that they are together again, really does bring me joy.

As I was sitting at Grandma's funeral the other day, I wondered how people can sit through a funeral of a person that you know didn't go to Heaven. I know that this is not the end. That there is something bigger waiting for us. How do people go through life thinking that when we die, that's it? How do people get through a death of someone they love, with no hope? Hope of seeing my Grandparents is what has gotten me through. Hope that someday we will be reunited together again, and that they are no longer suffering but are finally free of pain and confusion. I really wish that all people had that hope to cling to. I pray that whoever does read this post, has that hope!

1 comment:

Matt and Megan said...

Heidi,

My heart aches for you as I read your post. I'm blessed to know you are clinging to the hope of seeing them again! Your grandparents were wonderful people, I'm blessed to have had the chance to know them.

If it works for you, let's try to get together this week.